SA households could be too relaxed when it comes to home fire safety with more than 65 per cent stepping away from a hot stove to watch TV and around half surfing the net, doing housework or helping the kids with homework, according to new research by SGIC*.
With house fires peaking in winter, SGIC is reminding SA households where blazes commonly start and how easily they can spread.
SGIC spokesperson Emily Gatt said claims data showed almost 30 per cent of SA house fires started in the kitchen, most as a result of cooking left unattended**.
“Kitchen fires have the potential to spread quickly, often jumping to curtains or cupboards in a matter of seconds.
“Year on year we find people are still leaving cooking unattended. This year we looked closer at what distracts us from the stove and found we’re either getting caught up in other things because we’re busy or simply being too relaxed,” Ms Gatt said.
An SGIC survey of more than 500 SA residents found that in addition to cooking dinner on the stove:
To help prevent and be ready for a home fire, SGIC recommends households:
* Survey of more than 2500 Australian households by Pure Profile Research for SGIC in February 2010.
** SGIC home claims data 2005–09.