New data from SGIC has revealed more than a third (31%) of South Australian house fires start in the kitchen, while faulty appliances were responsible for 15 per cent of residential blazes in the last year.1
SGIC is warning South Australian families to take particular care over the coming months, as the vast majority of residential house fires occur during winter. SGIC spokesperson Hannah Dunn said it’s important SA households are reminded where blazes most commonly start and how easily and quickly they can spread.
“Kitchen fires have the potential to spread quickly, often jumping to curtains or cupboards in a matter of seconds and commonly start from people leaving their cooking unattended,” said Ms Dunn.
SGIC also revealed the top electrical goods which have caused hundreds of SA house fires over the past five years, including:
“When it comes to electrical appliances, people need to make sure they are in good working order, properly installed and the cords are regularly checked for fraying and damage which could cause a spark,” said Ms Dunn.
“It’s also important to frequently clean electrical devices including air conditioners, toasters and the filter on clothes dryers to help prevent fuelling a fire.
”To help reduce the risk of electrical fires, be careful not to overload double adapters, power boards and be sure to only use quality electrical equipment.”
With a wide range of power boards and adapters available on the market it is recommended NSW households use equipment carrying Australian Standard 3105 Approval.3
To help prevent and prepare for a home fire, SGIC recommends households:
With recent reports of fires caused by faulty Samsung washing machines, the insurer also called for owners of Samsung washing machines to check if their product was part of the 2013 safety recall:
For more information on how to make your home safer visit www.sgic.com.au/homesafety.
1 SGIC home claims data 2010–14.
2 SGIC home claims data 2010–14.
Media hotline number: 02 9292 9742