Flood cover

Regardless of where you live, flooding can cause major damage to your home and contents. All SGIC Home and Landlord Insurance policies include cover for loss or damage caused by flood, in addition to storm and water leaks.

What is a flood?

We define a flood as when water covers land which is normally dry, that has escaped or been released from the normal confines of any of the following:

  • Lakes
  • Rivers
  • Creeks
  • Another natural watercourse 
  • Reservoirs
  • Canals
  • Dams

What about storm water run off?

You are covered for sudden, excessive run-off of water as a direct result of a storm in your local area under 'storm' on your policy.

More details about types of flood

A riverine flood occurs when a prolonged period of rain causes rivers, creeks or dams to overflow. This type of flooding can affect large inland areas and can spread over several hundred kilometres.

With SGIC, you are covered if loss or damage occurs as a result of a riverine flood.

Stormwater run-off occurs when a large amount of rain falls in a short period of time, causing drainage systems and/or river and creek systems to overflow.
This type of event is usually confined to a local area.

With SGIC, you are covered under 'storm' if loss or damage occurs as a result of sudden and excessive run-off.

A tsunami can occur when an earthquake or volcanic eruption causes a sudden movement of the ocean floor.

This movement often produces waves that can have significant impact on property in low-lying coastal areas.

With SGIC, you are covered if loss or damage occurs as a result of a tsunami.

In addition to flooding caused by natural weather events, there can be other causes of water damage to your property.
For example, leaking or burst water pipes and overflowing washing machines or dishwashers can cause significant damage to your home and contents.

With SGIC, you may also be covered for this loss or damage under 'Water and Oil Leaks'.

Damage caused by the sea is not covered under your insurance policy. This includes:

  • High tides or king tides
  • Sea waves
  • Normal movement or changes in ocean levels
  • Storm surge*

*A storm surge is the increase in sea level that usually happens when there is an intense storm or cyclone. We cover a storm surge if it happens at the same time as a flood.

Like to know more?