ShareCover - Holiday Rental Insurance

Only pay-per-night policies are available right now

From 27 October 2020, ShareCover aren’t offering new Short-stay Rental Apartment or Short-stay Rental House polices.

If you already have a Short-stay Rental House or Apartment policy, there’s no change to your cover.

Pay-per-night policies are still available.

Learn more about pay-per-night policies

We’re working with ShareCover, another IAG brand, to bring you protection designed for homes with short-term rental guests.

Renting your home through websites like Airbnb or Stayz?

ShareCover can protect your house or apartment when you use online home sharing websites for short-term rentals.

Cover your entire house or apartment, or just the part that’s being rented. Choose a policy that protects you the whole year round, or one that’s just for the nights someone’s staying.

Go to ShareCover to see how it works

Find the best policy for you and your home

ShareCover lets you choose from three different policies, depending on your needs. These are:

  • Pay-per-night short stay, where you only pay for the dates your property’s rented to a guest
  • Short stay rental apartment, which is a 6 or 12 month policy for strata properties (like some apartments and units) that are rented for most of the year
  • Short stay rental house, which is a 6 or 12 month policy for free-standing homes (like some houses or terraces) that are rented for most of the year.

What's covered?

ShareCover policies give you a range of cover specifically designed for people renting to short-term guests through sites like Airbnb and Stayz. All the policies cover:

  • Accidental damage
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Loss of rent
  • Temporary accommodation.

If you choose a Short stay rental house or apartment policy, there’s also cover for damage caused by storms, lightning and bushfires.

Each policy has limits and conditions, so read the Product Disclosure Statement to learn what’s covered and not covered.

Things you should know

ShareCover is a separate brand to SGIC, but both are issued by Insurance Australia Limited.

ShareCover is issued by Insurance Australia Limited, ABN 11 000 016 722, AFS Licence No. 227681, trading as ShareCover Enterprises. When making decisions about your insurance, always read the Product Disclosure Statement and Target Market Determinations. You can also read the Buildings Key Fact Sheet and Contents Key Fact Sheet which list some important events and risks that are covered and not covered.

ShareCover Enterprises isn’t related to Airbnb or Stayz. References to Airbnb or Stayz don’t mean we endorse those platforms (or that they endorse us).

Get a quote

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I cover part of my home?

Yes, with ShareCover you can choose an amount of cover that only includes the area you rent out, instead of your whole home and everything in it.

Are payments tax deductible?

Your premiums might be tax deductible when you let relevant tax authorities know about your rental income. Please seek independent financial or tax advice from a licensed professional such as an accountant.

How much does ShareCover cost?

A pay-per-night policy costs on average $7 per night, depending on how much you insure your property for.

A longer policy, like a 12 month Short stay rental apartment policy, costs about $320 a year on average (based on a SA property with a $500 excess and $120,000 of buildings and contents cover combined).

Every property is different and prices change based on a lot of different factors. The quickest way to find out how much you’ll pay is to get a quote.

When you are trusting strangers with the largest asset that you own, your home… you want peace of mind. ShareCover gives me just that! I can leave them in my home knowing that I am covered.

Amanda from Wombat Ridge, NSW

We were sceptical at some of the claims made by some of the accommodation platforms about included coverage. Many of our stays are only for a single night and the ShareCover platform has been great for us. We have peace of mind knowing we have the cover when we need it.

Jonathan from Burnie, TAS