CTP Insurance claims

COVID-19 (coronavirus)

We're still here to help with your CTP Insurance claim during the coronavirus pandemic. Call us on 1800 633 176 (8:30am–5pm, Mon–Fri), email piclaims@iag.com.au, or contact your claims consultant.

What is CTP Insurance and who can claim?

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance is mandatory insurance that covers people who are injured in a motor accident (except the driver who caused the accident).

You can make a claim with us if all of these apply to you:

  • You've been injured in a motor accident
  • The accident was caused by a vehicle with SGIC CTP Insurance
  • You aren't the driver who caused the accident.

Make an injury claim

SGIC CTP claim advice line

 1800 633 176

8:30am–5pm, Mon–Fri

Just had an accident?

First, if anyone needs medical assistance, call for help right away.

Once everyone's safe, there are some simple steps to follow:

  1. Get the details of the vehicles involved, including rego number and CTP insurer
  2. Get the details of the people involved, including names, addresses, phone numbers and licence numbers
  3. Get the name and phone number of any witnesses
  4. Go to a police station to report the accident, or report it to the police online
  5. If you're the driver of a vehicle that has SGIC CTP Insurance, you must report the accident to us. Report an accident to us online

What's covered?

If we agree the vehicle with SGIC CTP Insurance caused the accident, we'll cover your treatment and lost earnings while you recover.

If you've sustained very serious injuries, you may be entitled to claim under the Lifetime Support Scheme (LSS).

How do CTP claims work?

Who to submit your claim to

To make a claim you'll need to fill in a claim form and submit it to the CTP insurer of the vehicle that caused the accident.

  • If you're not sure who the CTP insurer is, you can find out using EzyReg or contacting the CTP Insurance Regulator
  • For vehicles registered in another state, you'll need to contact the relevant interstate CTP insurer
  • If you're not sure which vehicle caused the accident, you can contact the South Australian CTP Insurance Regulator

If the accident was caused by an SGIC CTP Insured

You'll need to complete the appropriate claim form below and send it to us. Make sure your doctor completes a medical certificate or a written opinion about your injuries to attach to the claim form.

What support will I receive?

  • Reasonable and necessary medical treatment
  • Recovery support
  • Access to rehabilitation services

To ensure payment, rehabilitation services will need to be approved by us before you attend. The provider can then send accounts to us for payment of pre-approved services.

Where we’ve accepted liability, we’ll ensure medical accounts are paid within 20 days of receiving the invoice or receipt.

Reimbursements and other payments

If you’ve already paid for treatment and need reimbursement, or you’re entitled to claim for compensation/loss of earnings, we’ll calculate this at the end of your claim. This is called your final settlement.

Final settlement can also include:

  • Medical expenses
  • Rehabilitation
  • Travel
  • Future reasonable and necessary medical expenses
  • Loss of income
  • Compensation*

* In the Compulsory Third Party Insurance (CTPI) Scheme, a person who is injured in a motor vehicle accident may be entitled to compensation for their injuries. Their entitlement to certain types of compensation, such as non-economic loss, gratuitous services and future economic loss are subject to a threshold based on the Injury Scale Value (ISV) of the injuries sustained. For further information regarding ISV visit the CTP Insurance Regulator or the Motor Accident Injury Assessment Scheme

Claim forms

Need help with our forms?
Call 1800 633 176

Injured in a motor vehicle accident
The accident date occurred within 6 months

Fatal injuries
The accident date occurred within 6 months and the injured person passed away as a result of their injuries.

More information about CTP claims involving a fatality

Where to send completed forms


Personal Injury Claims
GPO Box 481



 In person

Level 7, 80 Flinders St, Adelaide SA 5000

  Remember to get your doctor to complete a medical certificate or a written opinion about your injuries to attach to the Claim Form.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you're unaware who the allocated CTP insurer is, please contact the CTP Insurance Regulator's Personal Injury Helpline.

If the vehicle is registered in another state or territory, you'll need to speak to the relevant insurer of that vehicle or contact the CTP Insurance Scheme in the state where the motor vehicle at-fault is registered.

Not sure who caused the accident?

It may be possible to make a claim under the Nominal Defendant Scheme. For further information contact the South Australian CTP Insurance Regulator

If someone was injured in the accident, you'll need to report the accident to the police. You are also required to inform SGIC by completing and sending us the Accident Report Form

We're here to help, if you have any questions call us on 1800 633 176

You can claim benefits on behalf of your injured child regardless of who caused the accident. The child must be under 16 and a resident of South Australia at the time of the accident.

Complete the CTP Injury Claim Form and submit it to us. We're here to help if you have any questions call us on 1800 633 176

You may be able to claim for compensation if a close relative dies in an accident caused partly or completely by another driver.

You can claim for:

  • Medical expenses
  • Funeral costs
  • Loss of financial support from the relative who died
  • Loss of services, such as the care of a parent for a child
  • Loss of earnings from your relative, from their injury until their death

You may still be able to claim even if the relative who passed away was partly at fault in the accident. You need to complete the CTP Fatality Claim Form

We understand if this is a difficult time for your family and we're here to help. Please call us on 1800 633 176 and we'll guide you through the process.

You may still be able to claim. You should lodge a claim with the South Australian CTP Insurance Regulator who will nominate an insurer to manage the claim.

Anyone who was injured in the accident caused by a vehicle insured with SGIC. You might be a driver, passenger, cyclist, motorcyclist or a pedestrian.

South Australian CTP Insurance Regulator

The Regulator is responsible for the oversight, monitoring and reporting of approved CTP insurer activities in the South Australian market, ensuring that a fair and affordable CTP Insurance Scheme (Scheme) is maintained, continuing to improve Scheme outcomes for the injured, providing consumer protections for motorists, and having oversight of the CTP Insurance premium setting process.

The Regulator is responsible for leading the ongoing development of an efficient, competitive, and viable CTP Insurance industry in South Australia.

On the South Australian CTP Insurance Regulator's website you can find out what CTP Insurance is and details about premiums. On this website you'll also be able to find out how to make a claim and copies of the claim forms and other CTP Insurance resources from the Regulator.

Legal representation

At SGIC, we are committed to working with you to meet your needs and resolve your claim in a timely and fair manner in accordance with the law under the Regulator rules.

At any stage of the claim process you can choose to seek legal advice. The law limits the legal costs that you can recover from a CTP insurer. For further information please click on the link.

South Australian Government Services

The South Australian Government provides a number of services through other departments and agencies. For your convenience we have included the key ones here – just click on the name of the department to visit their website.

  • Lifetime Support Authority: administers the Lifetime Support Scheme (LSS). LSS is a no fault scheme which provides necessary and reasonable treatment, care and support for people who sustain serious lifelong injuries in a motor vehicle crash
  • EzyReg: The system to view and renew a vehicle registration in South Australia
  • Service SA: provides access to a range of government services and information
  • sa.gov.au – Transport: for details about transport, travel and motoring related information in South Australia.
  • Motor Accident Commission (MAC) manages non-commercial community programs, including sponsorship of road safety research and communications aimed at safer road user behaviour from 1 July 2016

Any personal information you provide to us will be collected, held, used and disclosed in accordance with our Privacy Policy. By providing us with personal information, you consent to the terms of our Privacy Policy and, where you have provided information about another individual, confirm that you are authorised to do so in the manner required in our Privacy Policy. Please refer to our website www.sgic.com.au/help-information/privacy-security to review our Privacy Policy or ask us to send you a copy.