As we head into winter, NRMA Insurance is urging home chefs to be fire safety aware and to pay attention to what’s on the stove with its claims data showing one in three NSW house fires start in the kitchen*.
The insurer’s claims data also showed that after kitchen fires, the most common cause of a house fire is sparked by an appliance including an air conditioning unit, microwave, dishwasher and dryer.
With the number of house fires peaking in winter, NRMA Insurance is reminding NSW households where blazes commonly start and how easily they can spread.
NRMA Insurance spokesperson Tracy Woodley said kitchen fires had the potential to spread quickly, often jumping to curtains or cupboards in a matter of seconds.
“Kitchen fires commonly start from people leaving their cooking unattended so we want to urge all home chefs to keep their eyes on the stove at all times.
“When it comes to electrical appliances, people need to make sure they are in good working order, properly installed and the cords are regularly checked for fraying and damage which can spark,” said Ms Woodley.
NSW households should also be careful not to overload their double adapters and power boards and ensure they are using good quality equipment to help avoid starting an electrical fire.
With a wide range of power boards and adapters available on the market it is recommended NSW households use equipment carrying Australian Standard 3105 Approval**.
Ms Woodley added as we head into the cooler months where we all tend to spend more time at home cooking and with the heater on, we want to help NSW households reduce the risk of home fires.
To help prevent and safeguard your home and family, NRMA Insurance recommends households:
For more information on how to make your home safer, read our home safety and security tips
* NRMA Insurance home claims data 2009-13
Media hotline number: 02 9292 9742